One of our favorite presents to give is a good book—and if the book lover on your gift list has an eReader, then they'll probably appreciate it if you send them an ebook! There are lots of reasons to gift ebooks: they always have free shipping; they're better for the environment, and there's no wrapping required.
Plus, you can often find great deals on ebooks, saving you a lot compared to buying a physical book. Now all you need is to know how to give an ebook as a gift. Don't worry—it's easy! All you need is the recipient's email address. Just follow the steps below.
How to Gift an Ebook on Amazon
1. Find the Amazon page for the book you wish to gift, and make sure the Kindle version is selected.
2. Click "Buy for others."
3. Fill out the recipient's email address, gift message, and select a delivery date. That's it!
Bonus: If the recipient already has the book you sent, they can easily return the book for Amazon credit, and pick out a different gift for themselves.
Related: How Many Books Can a Kindle Hold?
How to Gift an Ebook on Barnes & Noble
The process of gifting an ebook is exactly the same for Nook users:
1. Find the book you wish to give on Barnes & Noble, making sure the Nook version is selected.
2. Select "Buy as gift."
3. Fill out the form that pops up, then click add to cart and check out as normal.
Just like with Amazon, your recipient will have the ability to easily return the ebook for Barnes and Noble credit.
How to Gift an Ebook on Apple Books
If your recipient uses an iPad as an eReader, then they may still have the Kindle or Nook app. If you're not sure, however, you can still gift them a book directly through iTunes.
1. Find the book you wish to gift on an iOS device through the iBooks app.
2. Tap the arrow next to the book price and choose "Give as Gift."
3. Follow the prompts to log in to your account, enter the recipient's information, and choose a shipping date.
Just like with Kindle and Nook, the recipient will have the choice to return the ebook for an Apple Gift Card.
How to Gift an Ebook on Google Play
Though you used to only be able to give gift cards on Google Play, you can now give ebooks directly!
1. Find the book you wish to give on Google Play.
2. Choose "Buy as Gift."
3. Follow the prompts to send your book!
Unlike the above options, Google Play will send you a copy of the gift email. If the recipient doesn't want the book, you can re-gift it to someone else.
How to Gift an Ebook on Kobo
Unfortunately, as of right now you can't directly gift an ebook on Kobo. However, you can buy a Kobo gift card!
Related: The 17 Best Gifts for Book Nerds